He qualified I.A.S exam in 1960. He resigned, went to U.K., joined British Civil Service, and did Journalism. He was elected to Haryana Legislative in 1968 and was re-elected in 1972.
Team Haryana First
PROFILED: Shyam Chand
A school drop-out on the death of his mother, brother and father, Shyam Chand worked as labourer earning eight to twelve Annas a day and brick layer for five years in his teens.
Later, he joined a private school at Sonepat where he completed his middle school and passed both IXth and Xth classes in one year obtaining first division from Panjab University.
While in service, he studied at Camp (evening) College, New Delhi and Institute of Post-Graduate Evening Studies (DU).
He qualified I.A.S exam in 1960. He resigned, went to U.K., joined British Civil Service, and did Journalism.
He increased state revenue three times, abolished inspector raj and gave bonus to the employees (unprecedented). He set up Haryana Urban Development Authority and he was its founder chairman.
He took keen interest in social welfare. Anti Dowry Act, Home for beggar’s training and rehabilitation, and settlement for leprosy patients, are some his achievements.
As a senator of Punjab University for a decade, it was through his efforts that 20% seats were increased in professional colleges and scheduled caste candidates were given reservation in admission to medical, engineering, law and B.Ed Colleges. Other states followed.
He was instrumental in the setting up of financial corporation for scheduled castes. He set up factories under this corporation for employment of these people. He also introduced reservation for the backward classes.
He setup a network of Public Distribution System. It was during this period that the farmers got more than the MSP in Haryana.
Shyam Chand was the Vice-President of the Indian Feneration of U.N. Association from 1972 to 1992 and members executive committee World Federation of U.N. Association, Geneva (1984-88) and he is the only politician to have been honoured by Sarva Dharma Ekta Mission.
When he was not a minister he worked for a private firm. His books-“Saffron Fascism” and “Seeds of Slavery”- a collection for poems got the attention of intellectuals of society.
Born on March 9, 1932, in Lath village of Sonepat, Shyam Chand was elected MLA from Baroda in 1968. He was re-elected in 1972 and appointed Cabinet Minister.
He streamlined the public distribution system, set up the Haryana Shahari Vikas Pradhikaran, took a leading part in creation of the NCR and got enacted the Haryana Anti-Dowry Act, 1976.
Key Achievements of Chaudhary Shyam Chand
- He was a scholar of Hindi, English, Urdu languages.
- The Haryana Sales and Act draft was manually drafted and implemented, which increased the revenue of Haryana three times.
- He formed Haryana Vyapar Mandal Congress, before this trade union belonged to RSS.
- He first implemented the MSP in the JP movement, at that time farmers of the neighboring state wanted to sell crops in Haryana.
- HUDA was created by him and he was the first Chairman. He had the discritionary power to excercise at his wish but he never used the power in favour of his relatives or favourites.
- For the first time, the provision of reservation for 20 per cent scheduled castes was made in medical, engineering, law, JBT, B.Ed.
- In 1972, a separate corporation was formed for the Scheduled Castes and set up 4 factories.
- Arranged reservation for backward castes in jobs.
- The three richest departments, Marketing Board, HUDA and Taxation were formed by him.
- After becoming the minister, he had given 10 acres of his purchased land to the landless.
- Had been a member of the Senate of PU and Kurukshetra for a long time.
- He was the vice-president of the Indian Federation of the United Nations.
- He was the founder of Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar hostel in Sonepat.
- After the defeat of the Congress party in 1977, he ran the Congress office before going to jail.
- He was the convener of the Congress Centenary Celebration of Haryana Congress in the year 1985.
- He was also the General Secretary of Haryana Congress.
- He executed many pro-people projects as an MLA and a minister.